Wednesday, April 16, 2008

One of those eureka moments

First off, it's been a while since I've posted. I think I've been incubating, a lot has been on my mind, lately. I think that's what Natural Hygiene does--it creates great awareness and, sometimes, some really incredible epiphanies--But I'm back and hopefully will be posting with greater frequency.


Secondly, thanks to everyone who has commented or emailed me privately. While I started this blog for my own benefit, it's nice to see that maybe it's helpful to others. For those of you who have been emailing me privately, I am doing my best to reply. So, if you haven't heard from me yet, please be patient. I've committed to getting caught up very soon.


Finally, I've had a bit of a eureka moment that I wanted to share with you. Maybe you'll be able to contribute your thoughts.


I was introduced to Natural Hygiene in the 1990s and it didn't catch my attention at all. It wasn't until 2000 that I stumbled on it again and I was captivated. Sometimes I wish that I would have paid attention to it when I was first introduced to it, cos I fancy that I would be so much further along with it. My first rejection of it has been on my mind and I've been wondering why it didn't "take" with me the first time around. But I think I've realized why.


If you take a look at some of the Natural Hygiene websites, books, etc., the photos of the people look really bad.  Most look emaciated and aged, and although they are smiling and seem to be happy, they don't present a very appealing endorsement for Natural Hygiene, in my opinion. These were among the first glimpses I had of Natural Hygiene and I didn't find it very appealing. I still don't. 


But these types of Hygienists, for the most part, I believe, are stuck in a particular phase of Natural Hygiene--the breaking down part, called catabolism. They seem to emphasize fasting, losing weight, and other aspects of ridding the body of ill-health, but they seem to ignore the building, or anabolic, aspects.  So, they look weak, aged, thin, ashen, and really quite un-healthy. (Later, I discovered other equally unappealing off-shoot groups, so-called hygienists who have the "medical mentality" and prescribe supplements, super-foods, magical foods, like chocolate, etc., which I won't go into). After a little investigation, I learned that there are hygienists out there who believe the hallmark of Natural Hygiene is fasting and catabolism to almost the exclusion of everything else. Apparently, at some point in the evolution of Natural Hygiene, fasting was in vogue, so many people came to believe that the secret attaining was health was in fasting only. 


Believe me, I think fasting is important. I've done a couple of beneficial fasts myself. But the beauty of 'true' Natural Hygiene is it's balanced approach to health, which includes not only fasting and the breaking down of ill-health but also (and more importantly?) health building. Sure, it's important to rid the body of toxins, inferior tissues, etc., but it's equally important to get to the stage of building the body up. To creating fitness and beauty. This is the part that captured my attention in my second introduction to Natural Hygiene and which really pulses with me.  


That's why I was glad when I came upon the teachings of Doug Graham in early 2000. (Excuse the huge plug, but Doug is who really turned me on to Natural Hygiene) Doug promotes a more balanced approach to health where both breaking down and building up play important roles. If you've read any of Doug's books or heard his presentations, you'll see that he works very hard to get people to the stage of building health. He's practically the only hygienist I know who does this. And if you look at him and the people he's coached, you'll readily see the difference. No emaciated people here! They are fit, well-muscled, and glowing--true examples of the hygienic way of life. 


It is so exciting to get up each day with great anticipation for building health. It's a lot more fun, too. I never thought I'd ask myself questions like, "How can I eat more (raw) calories, so I can exercise more?" And "How can I get fitter and stronger?" And "How can I get MORE sleep, and MORE relaxation, and MORE recreation and sunshine?" My former self was always looking for ways to better restrain myself and harness my natural impulses. Not so anymore! Yay!


So, I can see why some people have been turned off by Natural Hygiene, like I was in the beginning. If all they know of it is fasting and denial, and so-called 'cures' and 'therapies', then they are bound to be disappointed and turned off. For me, the Natural Hygiene lightbulb turned on when I realized that true health isn't about denial, but about all this incredible, healthful abundance! (And the beautiful bodies didn't hurt, either!) 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A positive image of health and fitness is so important for making a transition to a new way of eating and living, especially one so far outside the mainstream. Given that Natural Hygiene has so much to offer from a scientific point of view, a positive vision of its potential would serve it well. Dr. Graham's efforts is definitely a step in the right direction. His book, The 80/10/10 Diet, is one such vision, and will likely contribute greatly to pushing Natural Hygiene into the mainstream.

Autumn said...

Hello,

Wonderful post Ana!

I'm so glad to be learning so much about health & fitness. I'm really excited to get the opportunity to thrive & it's great to be learning so much about building the body up.

Ahhhh, blogging looks like so much fun! I'm thinkin about it, but I've been having a wonderful time really working & playing hard as spring hits us so beautifully.

Going raw again & this time learning about Natural Hygiene from such a wonderful perspective as 80/10/10 has really been a very positive experience for me.

Among other things, just as far as my physical appearance, with all this clear information I have now I can't wait to grow more & more as beautiful as this body has the opportunity to be.

(Well, listen to me, that is almost a blog post anyway! :)

Via811 said...

Yes! You're absolutely right, the building up of great health is the best focal point. Great post!

Sarah said...

I couldn't agree more! I have had similar observations myself... :)