Friday, February 22, 2008

Lighten Your Load

Ever since we humans settled, amassing and storing wealth has become our primary preoccupation. It's true that before supermarkets, take out, and easy transportation, we needed to ensure that we had enough supplies and foodstuffs to last us the duration of the bleak, barren winter; so, hoarding was actually a matter of survival.

But this hardly applies any longer. Today, we live in a sea of excess and waste; and it is only our deeply engrained belief that we must possess which keeps us enslaved to our excesses. If you take a look at a typical day or week, you will probably find that the bulk of it is devoted to managing and acquiring possessions! Laundry, dishes, groceries, tires for the car, taxes, boat, RV, payment on the second (or third...) car, getting a new outfit for the weekend, cleaning the garage, filing away the mail, stacking the magazines, did I say laundry?

Like the cartoon character Foghorn Leghorn, I think it's important to "keep our feathers numbered." I am not talking about sacrificing our most prized possessions, or even saying that we have to live in a state of poverty. But, if we want to enhance the quality of our life, doesn't it just seem essential that we have to get rid of the clutter and excess around us? Clutter and excess weigh down your mind and your environment and prevent you from growing. They enslave you to your past and prevent you from effectively functioning in the present. They inhibit the future from presenting itself--after all, where are you going to put it?

Eliminating clutter and excess also saves you a lot of money and, by virtue of all the money that is no longer seeping out of your life, that dream job that you thought you couldn't accept because it required a cut in salary, suddenly might seem appealing and realizable; or the house you have dreamed of buying can suddenly become a reality.

That's why I want to "steer my own canoe." Instead of hanging on to what society seems to dictate I have, I've started by getting rid of everything that just no longer serves me and then taking onto my "canoe" only what will get me where I need to be--where that is I'm not sure.....yet! But I'm really excited about finding out.

Oh, and I've taken on Natural Hygiene with a vengeance. It's become a major preoccupation of mine. The most major steps I've taken is changing my diet and many of my personal habits. I'm a raw-foodist, which has been a mind blowing experience. Almost daily I experience awesome insights about myself and the world around me. I did my first extended fast recently, and now I'm into keeping my insides clean and my body and mind strong.

Maybe you would like to join me?

So, welcome to my blog. I hope you will find it inspiring! I would really, really love to hear from you!

1 comment:

Via811 said...

Ana, I love your blog! I haven't read all the posts yet, but it is great so far. Thank you so much for your blog-great title too! Ciao